North Vancouver Island COVID update: Confirmed cases on the rise

Empty park bench, confirmed cases on the rise in Courtenay
A park bench in Courtenay by Richard Eriksson via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
Roy Hales - CKTZ - Cortes IslandBC | 28-02-2021
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on email
Share on print

By Roy L Hales

“As many of you might have heard, cases are on the rise within the North Island, which includes the Comox Valley and Campbell River.  The number of COVID cases in the north of Vancouver Island has more than doubled in just three days. We are asking everyone to increase their vigilance, when it comes to slowing the spread of COVID 19 ,” said Jesse Ketler, Chair of the Comox Valley Regional District.

Jesse Ketler, Chair of the Comox Valley Regional District

Jesse Ketler, Chair of the Comox Valley Regional District – courtesy CVRD website

Number of confirmed cases on the rise

That was taken from Chair Ketler’s February 24th YouTube news update, when there were 56 cases.

Two days later, on Friday, Feb 26, there were 64.

This represents more than a sixfold increase over a ten day period.

The BC Centre for Disease control will inform the public about the Local Health Areas where these cases were found next Wednesday, at which point this data will be five days old.

Their last report, for the week ending on Saturday February 20th, that showed 82% of North Vancouver Island’s active cases were in the Comox Valley and the remainder (18%)  in the Greater Campbell River Health area.

confirmed cases on the rise

Number of active cases compiled from data obtained from Island Health and the BC Centre for Disease Control by Roy L Hales

Two food industry workers in Courtenay

Thrifty Foods confirmed a staff member at its Cliffe Avenue store in Courtenay tested positive, and this employee has not worked since February 20th.

An A&W staff member, also in Courtenay, has also tested positive. Their last day of work was February 21st.

number of confirmed cases on the rise - School exposure page

Data compiled from Island Health’s school exposure page by Roy L Hales

Data compiled from Island Health’s school exposure page by Roy L Hales

Six School closures

Six North Vanocuver Island schools are listed on Island Health’s exposure page.

Three are in Courtenay and one in Comox.

On Wednesday. February 24th, the superintendent for School District 71, Comox Valley, sent parents a letter stating that eight members within the district tested positive for COVID-19, and 108 staff and students will be self-isolating for two weeks.

The other two school exposures are at Carihi and Timberline Secondary Schools in Campbell River. The most recent potential exposure dates were February 16th, 17th and 18th at Timberline. Both schools have taken the appropriate actions.